Sunday, January 4, 2009

Hiking in Ithaca, NY


Hiking in Ithaca is exhilarating and accompanied by amazing scenery.  Summer 2008 holds a special place in my heart.  My husband and I adopted our puppy Max from the SPCA and enjoyed many walks and hikes before the cold weather set in.

For the summer months, we walked Max at Cass and Stewart Park.  He was too small to climb rocks and steps for any length of time at Buttermilk Falls or The Robert H. Treman Park.  Once fall began, Max was a little bigger and able to handle longer walks and even learned how to climb the stairs in our home.  We tested his skills at Taughannock Falls.  We walked around the edge of the lake for a while and also threw the Frisbee around with him.  After a replenishing picnic, we walked up a trail.  Max made it half way up before he stopped and needed a puppy nap.  He did great for his first hiking adventure.  We look forward to summer 2009!  Max will be bigger and stronger for even longer walks and hikes. 

Hiking is one of my favorite things to do for exercise.  It gets my heart rate up and strengthens my muscles a great deal.  One of the most challenging hikes for me is located at Robert H. Treman Park.  There are many trails you can travel in this beautiful park, but I believe the best workout is the Rim Trail.  It looks like a staircase made of rock. The steps eventually climb higher than the tall trees in the park. When I reach the top of this stone staircase, I feel like I have reached the top of the world.  This hike is a rigorous workout!

Hiking is a huge stress reliever.  It clears my mind and allows me to take my frustrations out by climbing or running up and down trails.  Hiking and walking can help reduce stress and increase endorphins that aide in changing my state of mind. 

Hiking is a great full body workout.  It works the upper and lower legs, hips and butt, abs, shoulders and neck.  Hiking is a fabulous way to lose weight and stay fit.  Not only does it burn calories, but it helps build muscle too! 

Happy Hiking Friends!

2 comments:

  1. Hiking in the summer in Ithaca is always one of my favorite things to do as well. Having a dog to hike with probably makes it more fun. I always feel like I get a full body workout, even if I'm just going for a leisure hike with some of my friends. My favorite hiking spot is Buttermilk Falls since it is so beautiful and lots of steps. I always find that is better to hike with someone and have a conversation at the same time. You don't even realize you're working out that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up on south hill with Upper Buttermilk in my backyard. Owl Creek Gorge is also in the woods behind the house. It is absolutely beautiful in the woods throughout the year. When I was in fifth grade I developed a trail system from my parents house down owl creek to lower buttermilk, to the campground, to the cemetery that is up the road, to upper buttermilk and to other random places in the woods with nice lookout points. My dad built benches that he placed on the trails throughout the woods. Each day my family takes walks through the woods with their dog and sometime the cat comes along too. Ithaca really is Gorges.

    ReplyDelete